Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

First, Be Well

I have been so sick these last few days, sick with a head cold that could fell Godzilla. I have little energy, but worse, little ability to focus or concentrate. The minute I try, some ache bothers me, or I have to blow my nose or drink some water.

This reminded me of how important your health is, and not just your physical health. Emotional, mental, and yes, physical. One of the principles of yoga is to take care of the body so that it is not in the way of your quest for enlightenment. I believe the same applies to following your bliss.

If you are distracted with poor physical health, or an emotionally abusive relationship or maybe you have been unduly angry lately and you don't know why, attend to those things first. Your foundation for following the path starts first with you, and if you are not of sound mind or body, the journey will be far more treacherous.

Just as you wouldn't attempt a marathon when suffering from pneumonia, don't forge on ahead with huge life changes without first evaluating yourself--the vessel of change--for soundness.

No comments: