Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

So, My Brother Sells Lamborghinis...

2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

...and I got to go for a ride around a race track, taking hairpin turns at nearly 80 mph. I was so scared and so exhilarated, I was completely breathless. I think I have a better handle on what the word 'thrill' really means.

2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

OK, so I'm not sure what this has to do with bliss, but c'mon, admit it: It is pretty darn cool. I mean, I don't know about you, but I was a child of the '80s, when Lamborghini posters adorned every little boy's wall. (Or maybe that was just my brother.) Actually, maybe I do know what this has to do with bliss. My brother is pretty close to living his. He is the most amazing car guy ever--knows everything and anything about any car worth knowing anything about, and he has a great passion for the engineering and the racing history and everything car related. He is also dyslexic, and had a hell of a time making it through school. But he struggled like crazy, worked very hard, and got very creative so that he could make it through.

1967 Lamborghini Miura P400

Very few people get to sell Lamborghinis, and he is in that elite group. I am very, very proud of him. But I also know that when I saw his face today on that race track, as he talked about cars and about carbon-fiber struts and "riding the bull," I couldn't help but see the experience of his bliss. He has a knack for cars very few people do, and while many have scoffed at the idea of being a car salesman, he is very, very good at what he does, and he has reached an enormous level of success for being so young. He works hard, but I could tell that he loved being on that track, talking cars with other car enthusiasts. Today didn't seem like work at all for him. I think that's pretty much when you know.

2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

If you think this post is cool, you should subscribe!

Incidentally, if you want to oh, I don't know, buy a Lamborghini, you should contact my brother at khamburger AT boardwalkAG DOT com. Or visit Lamborghini Dallas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I had a poster of a Lamborghini Diablo on my wall that I got right about the time the car first came out. I can't believe my parents let me have it because the license plate in the picture read "Eat Shit." That wasn't an approved phrase in our household.

For the longest time, I wanted to design cars for the likes of Porsche and Lamborghini. I think I still have some of those drawings tucked away in a box.

Being a salesman (unlike a mechanic or racer) is perhaps a non-traditional way to get to be around cars all day and have that excitement, but I think it's interesting because it shows that if you are interested in something (cars, writing, movies, whatever) there are often many unexpected ways that you can enjoy it--and maybe even be able to make a living doing so.

--James

p.s. I'm enjoying the frequent posts recently. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,

After your day with the Lamborghinis, are you sure there aren't three things on your Christmas Wish List?

- erzsebet