Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Support Bliss-Followers as You Shop

I've said before that if you're going to spend money, you should try to spend it on experience rather than material goods.

I stand by that advice, though I recognize that some material things can be functional, necessary or add beauty to life. If you find yourself in the position of having to buy a gift this holiday (or anytime, really), you might consider something that satisfies the three qualities mentioned above, and has the added benefit of supporting a working artist or artisan.

The place to browse for these gifts is a wonderful marketplace website called Etsy.com, where handmade items--from art to pet food dishes to clothing to jewelry--are sold directly by the maker to the buyer.

What I love about this is that you can give a beautiful or functional (and often both!) handmade, one-of-a-kind gift, and support someone else who is trying to follow their bliss and engage their gifts and talents as they make a living. Also, the items are often extremely affordable, which is nice if you're on a budget.

Really, what's not to love? So spread some holiday cheer and good karma when you do your gift shopping and make the holidays a little more handmade.

If you like what my hands made--this blog--consider subscribing to my feed! It's free!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiffany,

This post made me think of a segment I heard recently on this American Life. I think it will be of interest to you and your readers. It's about crafting, and it explores whether one's hobbies cease to be fun when they evolve from an avocation to a vocation. I'm not sure if I agree with its tentative conclusion, but it's very interesting nonetheless.

Here's the link--
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1206

Check out act 3, which runs from about minute 47 to minute 58. There's something about the idea of David Rakoff gluing Necco Wafers on a cigar box that makes me feel less silly about being an attorney by day and a crafter by night!

Anonymous said...

Oops, that link didn't work for some reason. Here it is again:


This American Life 9.14.2007

Tiffany Hamburger said...

Mer--
I loved this segment! I don't know if I agree with his conclusion either (since I don't believe in inspiration, but rather discipline), but I did love the Necco wafer box. Though all I could think was: Wouldn't that attract ants?

Thanks for sharing the link! :-)